Monday, January 28, 2008

I have been inspired...

Here is my "pillowcase" dress creation!!!!
many of you have probably not read the blog that follows these pictures. I wrote the blog last night...did my project, and I am just now posting the pictures. Therefore, to get a better understanding of these pictures...you can read the blog attached.

this is the pillow case dress...but I chose not to actually use a pillowcase. I used some of the fabric I was telling all y'all about!
just another cute pic! I was really amazed when I put it on her this morning and it actually fit!!! I'm not very good (yet) at getting "creations" to actually fit...so it was a pleasant surprise!


A picture of the dress by itself...I'm not done, this is just what I got done last night. I will add fun embellishments sometime today(hopefully!!)

Sitting super cute....

Now that's a BIG Cheeser!!! Isn't she darling!!!
the flower in "your" left hand corner is an embellishment prospect...what do you think?

another of the same pics....I always do that! Oh well, she looks cute anyway!!

Well...

It is true, I have been inspired.

There is a girl in our ward who emailed a bunch of the women in the ward telling them about FREE Designer Fabric...(ps...if you read my blog, I can't thank you enough for sharing this information).

The people who offer this free fabric are an older husband and wife just down the street who open their home to anybody wishing to get FREE "POSH" fabric!

Anyway...my friends talked me into going (after showing me all of the great fabric pieces they retrieved).

I was like a kid in a candy store....a child on Christmas morning....I COULD HARDLY CONTAIN MYSELF!!!!!

There is a lot of random material, some table cloth sized/curtain sized, and mostly small square pieces.

It is very Cool fabric. It isn't "just" cotton....there are just tons of really really interesting/different stuff...amazing.

Anyway...here is how I've been inspired.

I came home with all of this fabric...and I DON'T just want to sit on it. I want to use it. So I have decided....(don't mark my words however) That I really want to try making clothes...mainly for eliza. dresses, shirts, onezies, embellishments...and if I get real brave I may even try some shirts and dresses for myself...I'd also like to figure out how to make "plaid"/button up shirts for oliver and Aaron (since that's pretty much what they always wear :O)....the only thing that seems tricky about that is the collar...but I'm sure I could figure that out one day.

I found this site on the Internet that has been the root of even this inspiration...the site is called:



http://www.burdastyle.com/



On this site it shows SO MANY great projects that you can do....it gives free/STYLISH patterns for shirts, pants, dresses, purses...You name it!!!!...and it's FREEEEE!

It gives "how-to's" on Tons of project ideas, and also sewing "how-to's" like how to read a pattern!

I love this site, and I truly just want to make so many things...
onezies are SOOOOO over priced, and how fun would it be to make your own! They are like a rectangular piece of fabric with arms and snaps....how HARD can that be!!!!!!??????
Many of you know that my children LIVE in onezies (I'm not a fan of diapers hanging out of jeans...for whatever reason it just bothers me...not on "your" kids, but on mine it does :O)...oliver will probably be wearing an undershirt onezie until he is 10!...therefore this would be such a COST EFFECTIVE project!...anyway, I'm babbling because I am so very excited..

I am only telling you (whomever "you" is :O)...because if I write it down...and people read it...maybe it will keep me inspired, and I can show you my projects as I go, and this road of excitement will continue as long as long lasts :O).

Ok...I'm going to work on my first "creation"... a pillowcase dress for eliza! Would you like the site and "how to" on this?...ok....here it is!

www.jenleheny.com/archives/158

Love to all,

joni ann

7 comments:

Scott & Jennifer said...

Love'n it!!! You're awesome!

SLY

Jeana said...

Wow Joni that is really cute. I haven't looked at the websites yet but I will. My sewing machine has been sitting idol for too long and that pillowcase dress looks reasonably simple. Thanks for the fun ideas. sly, bean!

Scott & Jennifer said...

Whaa-Whooo!!

I like the flower!

Ashley said...

You are adorable!! (so is Eliza) I'm very impressed with your skills. The dress is adorable! I will keep you motivated! :o) haha. I really need your help with something though... so maybe I'll give you a call soon. I miss ya!

MandaMommy said...

Wow Joni! It looks awesome!!!!!!! I can't wait to try it!!

Melissa said...

I love the pillowcase dress, it's so dang cute!! I'm glad you've heard of Burdastyle, it's a fabulous website. There's also a website called Cut Out + Keep... there's a kimono tutorial (for little ones) that's fabulous, here's the link:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=183864.msg1918486#msg1918486

Melissa said...

I don't think that last link worked... just go to craftster.org, and search kimono.